It can be quite a challenge to pick out the best things in Perth. For a cosmopolitan vibe, this Western Australia city has so much to offer. If it is shopping and great suburban restaurants you love, then I guarantee you will be happy here. One of the many jewels in Perth’s crown, would be the sparkling Swan River. The Swan River is perfect for day cruises to Fremantle. There is also much to love about Kings Park which is centrally located – but don’t expect to cover it in just the one day. It is massive!
Perth Great Outdoors
But perhaps more importantly, Perth really lends itself to the great outdoors. The beaches here are beautiful, as are their sunsets. In fact, even in the early winter months, you can still go for a swim or walk along the beach in just a t-shirt.
Important travel tips for Perth
Day tours in Perth
- Perth & Fremantle: Starting in Perth, you can join a tour that will take you to all the major attractions of the Perth CBD. Not to be missed is the famous Western Australian Cricket Ground (WACA). Then you get to travel on to enjoy a nature extravaganza, Kings Park Botanical Gardens. While you are here, don’t forget to take in the stunning views from the war memorial looking over the city skyline.
- Your tour will then continue through the affluent Western Suburbs, known as ‘Millionaire’s Row’. Cottesloe Beach will be your next stop. And it is here, that you can view view the Indian Ocean.
- Of course, no trip to Perth is complete without a visit to the Port town of Fremantle. You can drive yourself to Fremantle by car, but if you want a rest from driving, why not take a coach ride or a leisurely boat cruise down the Swan River. Fremantle is famous for its maritime history and Italian influence. Just wait until you see the impressive shop facades! Fremantle is a Heritage Listed city and a great place to spend the day. When it is time to return to the city, you just board the coach or boat boat back to Perth.
- Experience Rottnest by Bike: The locals just love Rottnest Island for its laidback vibe. Plus, you are guaranteed to meet the friendliest animal on earth – the happy Quokka. And there is more good news – you can take a hosted day tour there. Your day will begin the day with a spectacular cruise down the Swan River. Just kick back and relax to explore the beauty of this very special island. In fact, you can even cycle around the island at your own pace. Included in this tour, is the island cruise, your bicycle hire and lunch at Karma Rottnest. Departs: The tour starts daily from Pier 2 Barrack Street Jetty, Perth at 8.30amReturns: 6.45pm.
- Find another day tour – explore Margaret River: The Margaret River region is only about 3 and a half hours from Perth. Now some people have an odd perception of Australia. They tend to think of an arid dessert land. But many parts of Australia, especially Western Australia are incredibly lush and green. You will see this especially around the Margaret River area. And the boutique nature of this area is full of enchantment. There are so many small galleries and artisan products around. And let us not forget what this region is very famous for – wine! In fact, some of Australia’s premium wines come out of the Margaret River area.
View some travel itineraries including Western Australia.
Must see and do in Perth
- Enjoy the city sights and take a walk through Kings Park and Botanic Gardens.
- Swim, surf or watch the sunset over the Indian Ocean at Cottesloe Beach.
- Explore Perth on foot as you take on one of the walking trails.
- Admire Perth at a distance as you experience the picturesque upper Swan River or head to Fremantle on a cruise.
- Head to Rottnest Island to see underground tunnels or swim, snorkel and scuba dive to discover shipwrecks.
- Take a day trip to the wine regions of Margaret River or Swan Valley and take part in a tasting tour to find your perfect wine or discover award winning restaurant.
Travel tips for best things in Perth
- Northbridge – located adjacent to the city. Renowned for its vibrant nightlife, dozens of bars, cafes, restaurants and nightclubs.
- Leederville – this is a lovely suburb with so many eating options and quirky shops. It is only 5 minutes north west of the city and offers a very hip, bohemian vibe.
- Subiaco – only 5 minutes west of the city. Known for its many boutiques, markets, restaurants and jewellery outlets.
- East Perth – located only 5 minutes from the city. This riverside setting boasts popular eateries and gardens.
- South Perth – is a mere 5-min ferry trip from Barrack St Jetty. From here, you will get million dollar views of the Swan River. Plus, you can dine at one of the many culinary icons of Perth.
- Getting around in Perth is incredibly easy. They have a get-on and get-off central bus service. All you need to do is to purchase a day ticket and you an pretty much explore as much as you like. A lot of Perth’s icons, such as the Perth Mint, is easy to see, if you use this bus.
- Dining options in Perth:
- Rooftop Bars are a big thing in Perth and they are sprouting up everywhere. They offer beautiful views and a great atmosphere.
- Fraser’s Restaurant: Enjoy the inspiring river and city views as you indulge in a sensational contemporary cuisine made from local produce.
- Jamie’s Italian: Treat yourself to an Italian food, Jamie Oliver style, matched with your favourite cocktails, wine or nonalcoholic drink in an al fresco dining area.
- Wildflower: A rooftop restaurant overlooking the city and the Swan River offering contemporary cuisines showcasing the best produce of West Australia.
Summary on best things in Perth
Perth is often seen as the gateway to some of Australia’s beautiful outback. Plus it is a great place to begin well travelled routes to Denmark, Albany and beyond. You will be so close to the Margaret River area – you might even fit in a day trip there, rather than staying overnight. But perhaps best of all, you will get to relax with no pretension.
Happy travelling to Perth!