Have you dreamed of travelling along the remote and iconic route from Perth to Darwin? Unsure where to start with your planning? The Perth to Darwin journey is full of the unexpected … it’s a diverse landscape where one of the world’s oldest cultures share dreamtime stories through song under the outback’s glittering night sky. It’s a continent surrounded by bright blue waters and secluded beach hideaways, full of majestic national parks where time stands still as you wind your way through rugged wildness; and it’s a foodies paradise spoiling visitors with tantalising culinary experiences.
Finding the hidden gems…
And the truth is, you’ll never really know until you experience it for yourself. Australia is a curious country, full of hidden gems, just waiting to be discovered. A land so vastly different from New Zealand yet just a hop, skip and a jump across the ditch. You may also combine both countries!
If you’re considering the journey from Perth to Darwin, you may be asking
- When is the right time to visit?
- What is the best way to explore this route?
- Where should I go and what to do?
There is so much information available and it can be confusing and time consuming to work out what is the best motorhome holiday for you.
It’s important not to leave your holiday to chance, and by speaking to a location expert such as Gallivanting Oz about your motorhome adventure in Australia – expert and seasoned travel team members will be able to guide you every step of the way and help to avoid some of the pitfalls that are common when planning motorhome holidays. Gallivanting Oz are specialists at motorhome hire and escorted tours throughout all of Australia, including the iconic Perth to Darwin route. There is no question too big or small when it comes to securing you the perfect motorhome for your trip – and most importantly, taking all the confusion out of the experience.
Ready to plan your motorhome holidays Perth to Darwin?
Now you know where in Australia you want to explore, the next step is to work out when you’d like to travel. All part of your Australia check list.
Some of our expert tips to consider when planning your Australian motorhome holiday:
- As you’ll be travelling in the northern third of Australia, it’s important to understand the seasons and best time to experience. Northern Australia is best visited in what is known as the ‘dry season’ which is roughly May to September (through the Australian winter months).
- The wet season, which is predominantly summer, is much hotter, more humid and there are some roads in the northern third of the country which may become impassable. The main highway around Australia is usually open, however flexibility is very important if you do decide to travel during the wet season in northern Australia.
- It doesn’t matter which direction you travel for the Perth to Darwin route – it’s more about the time of year, to ensure you are at the Top End at the best time. If you are starting a little later in the season, like late July/August for example, it would be better to travel Darwin to Perth direction. It is best to travel this route one way only with your motorhome – and that is an easy thing to do.
- Take a minimum of 25 days for this route, however longer is better to give you a chance to really experience the area. Many of our retired clients travel for around 5-6 weeks.
Getting local travel advice
Gallivanting Oz have an abundance of helpful and free resources to assist you to plan your perfect road trip adventure. Your friends and family will be green with envy when they hear all about your plans!
It doesn’t matter if you are looking to plan your own itinerary with ‘freestyle’ motorhome hire, utilising all the resources provided to you, or, if you prefer, join an escorted motorhome tour. On an escorted tour all the details are taken care of with your route plan and experiences along the way. You too, like others, will be able to say, ‘that this was the best holiday you’ve ever had’. So many inclusions; camaraderie of travelling with a small group and loads of flexibility. The escorted tour option is highly organised while being very relaxed. You just won’t believe how much is included on the route from Perth to Darwin (or vice versa) to ensure you get right into those remote, yet iconic areas, like the unique Kimberley region.
One of the favourite things for the Gallivanting Oz team is hearing from happy clients about their favourite highlights and what a difference they made in the holiday experience. Certainly, evokes a sense of pride.
Don’t leave your motorhome holiday to chance. Talk to the team today about experiencing the “Gallivanting Oz” difference. Together, the motorhome holiday of your dreams will be created.
Here are some suggestion what other locations in Western Australia you might want to travel prior or post you Perth to Darwin motorhome adventure. The possibilities are endless!
- Exploring Perth and Fremantle.
- Highlights in the famous Margaret River.
- Travelling the Southern Coast to Albany.
Happy Travelling Western Australia!